Basic Sponge Cake - Sonia's Method
(I did top up the recipe because I'm using 8" cake pan)

A
5 egg yolk (large)
25gm castor sugar
62.5gm corn oil
75gm fresh milk
1tsp vanilla essence
112.5gm cake flour (I used super fine flour)
Method:
1. Lightly whisk egg yolk with sugar till dissolve.2. Add in corn oil and milk, stir well to combine.
3. Add in cake flour, mix well and set aside.
B
5 egg white (large)
1/2tsp cream of tartar/lemon juice
75gm castor sugar
Method:
1. Add cream of tarter/lemon juice into egg white, beat till foamy.
2. Gradually add in sugar, beat till stiff peaks.
3. Take 1/3 portion of egg white mixture and use hand whisk to mix the egg yolk mixture till light.
4. Gradually fold the balance of the egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture till well combined.
5. Pour the batter into the 8" cake pan with removable bottom.
6. Bake in the preheated oven at 140C for 25mins and increase to 170C and continue to bake for another 30mins.
Note: Do not line the cake pan with paper. If you do, please use normal baking paper will do. Do not use non stick cake pan and also the cake pan do not have to be grease with butter and flour.
After resting for 15mins, take a knife to swirl around the cake pan before remove the cake out from the pan. This cake never fails me... I really love the cake very much.
But, I have a question here....Can see the cake is high, moist, soft and the tasted nice too. But how come my cake slightly shrink from the side. Look at the picture above...like a hourglass shape eh? Why ar? Can someone tell me.
But the shrink problem not really that bad and I never give up to decorate the cake. Furthermore, the cake texture is very good and moist. Really like those cakes selling from outside bakery. I didn't use a cake leveller to cut the cake. The most important thing is to have a long enough and a sharp cake knife to slice over. Practice always makes perfect...
Each layer I'm spreading whipped cream from Sonia's recipe with Longan and Nata de coco.
Tadda! This is the Garfield birthday cake I made. Hahaha, you may think I bake for a kid right? But actually, it was for my colleague, Nicole. She saw I made the Spiderman cake for my son. She said she wish to have a Garfield cake. Well, Garfield was so much easier than Spiderman *phew*.
On that day, Calvin is a very happy boy indeed. Why? My boy always like sharing cutting birthday cakes *thick face* Nicole sorry eh and please forgive my boy. I shall blog about the simple luncheon birthday celebration very soon after this.
Take a closer look from the birthday cake. The basic sponge cake tasted very good my colleagues told me. Furthermore, home made cake always have lots of filling inside. Longans and Nata de coco. Yum Yum.
p/s: I will show the step by step making the Garfield chocolate transfer. Stay tune.






nice cake... :D I'll try on this recipe when I do my durian cake this weekend.. hehehe..
ReplyDeleteCyn, you must try Sonia's method. Very good. I feel like baking more birthday cakes next time...Hehehe
DeleteNice sponge cake with cute Garfield smile face decor. Your cake look so fruitful inside.
ReplyDeleteThanks again Vick
DeleteThis is such a lovely cake!! You make it sounds so easy! I hope to give it a try. You are such a wonderful friend!
ReplyDeleteKitty I haven't described the cleaning part. Maybe the cake doesn't required any butter only corn oil. So the washing part seems easy too. No hassle cleaning and washing buttery and oily bowls. Muahaha....
DeleteWAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Garfield!!!!!!! My childhood favourite fat cat!
ReplyDeleteYes!!!! It is my fav too. I used to have Garfield wallet.....
DeleteSo nice to be your close colleague, get to eat personalized cake.
ReplyDeleteYvonne, so what is your choice? Your birthday next month eh?...U like cheesecake one...
DeleteVery nice cake and Nicole is very lucky!
ReplyDeleteToo bad my birthday is already over...... Haha!
Next time Hayley....sayang bec!
Deletewow, u make me drooling at this hour!
ReplyDelete*_^
Deletewow..I'm drooling already!
ReplyDeleteThanks. It was a simple cake actually
DeleteAngeline,
ReplyDeleteWow! That is another lovely cake.
Looks very delish. I never try adding longan n Nata de coco in my cakes before. Sounds good I will try in future.
Learn something from you again..heehee
mui..^^
Longan and Nata de coco is a perfect match
DeleteDear Anzerin, you are so amazing. This cake looks so terrific, especially I see the longan and Nata De Coco as the filling. I am sure it tasted fresh and yummy. Keep up the good work. You are really great.
ReplyDeleteThanks Yan. I wish, I hope and I will bake more...
Deleteall i can say is yummy!!!!..
ReplyDeletethe cake is so lovely... and wow you are a real cake artist :)
Genskie: I Googled and traced the garfield picture. *_^
Deleteboy you are so good! the cake look so delicious! wish i stay next to you or am your colleague...hahhaha
ReplyDeleteYa, I thought over to stay beside you and the rest mummy bloggers too. Muahaha
DeleteLovely birthday cake Angeline, I can see that it is so delicious, so filled with fruits and coco de nata...yum!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jeannie...
Delete