AFF OCT'13 - Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き)

Minasan! Okonomiyaki - Japanese savory pancake is the recipe for today. I always called it the Japanese pizza. Different region has their own style of okonomiyaki and ingredients. After all the main ingredient is still cabbage.

Recipe adapted from Nami @ Just One Cookbook (with  some modifications). I used half of the recipe only.
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2-3 inch Nagaimo/Yamaimo, grated (fresh Huai Shan)
  • 3/4 cup Dashi stock (Can substitute with water)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Tenkasu Agedama/Tempura scraps (can used bread crumbs, but I use rice bubbles, more crunchy bites)
  • 1/4 cup pickled red ginger - Kizami Beni Shoga (can be omitted)
  • 8 cups cabbage (about a whole large cabbage), finely chopped
  • 1/2 carrots, shredded
  • 1 cup squid, chopped into small pieces
  • Oil for frying
  1. Combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Grated the Yamaimo/ Huai Shan into the bowl. Pour in the Dashi stock and mix well.
  2. Let the batter rest inside the fridge for 30min to 1 hour. While waiting for the flour to set, you can get ready with other ingredients.
  3. Chop the cabbage finely. Cut the squid into small pieces.
  4. Take out the batter from the fridge. Add in the eggs, Tenkasu, carrot and squid. Mix well.
  5. Finally stir in the cabbage. If you find the after mixing in, the batter is still watery. Try to add more cabbage, Tenkasu. carrots or squid as what you like.
Referring to Wikipedia:
Kansai Area: All the ingredients are all mix in the batter and fry in a pan/hotplate. Served with Okonomiyaki toppings and sauce.
Hiroshima Area: The ingredients are rather layered rather than mixed all in. Means they fry it layer by layer. What's so special? Besides basic Okonomiyaki toppings, it also have Yakisoba noodle and a fry eggs as the topping. Even the size of Hiroshima Okonomiyaki is 2 times larger than the normal one. 
Put a generous scoop of the batter on a frying pan. Nami said do not flatten the batter or else it will easily break when we turn it over. Fry for 5-8 minutes a side and covered with a lid. Time depends on the batter thickness. As long as it turn into a nice brownish color then it is all done.
For the toppings:
Firstly, drizzle the Okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise in a zig zag motion or just apply on top, it is also acceptable. Sprinkle the Bonito Flakes, Aonori and green onions. Serve immediately.
Japanese always have hot plate in their household. So they can always make a few mini Onokomiyaki all at once.
All the ingredients are easy to get and inexpensive - Taste yummy too!
I'm proudly say it is a another success for me (*_^)
So what you think of my Okonomiyaki?
I'm submitting my Okonomiyaki to Asian Food Fest Japan Month, hosted by Alan of Travelling Foodies.

Comments

  1. I wonder if my daughter would wanna try this - she loves Japanese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this once before, I love it so much!!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Okonomiyaki, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow wow, it's お好み焼き as promised, haha!! actually come to think of it, i don't think i have tasted any お好み焼き before!! oh, how ulu tiram i am, hahaha!! italian pizza loads of it, but never any japanese pizza, how could i?? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so you were cooking the 関西 style of お好み焼き right?? hmmm, maybe the next round you can cook the 広島焼き since you have tried with your 焼きそば and probably got some leftover?? hehe.. would love to see that~~ :)

      Delete
    2. your お好み焼き looked very very very delicious!! おいしい!!! i want to try some also, hehe.. and at the same time, it also reminds me of pizza, orr chien and also röschti.. hmmm, maybe i can suggest you to make a fusion mashup putting these four things together, wonder how it would taste like, haha!! :D

      Delete
    3. Oh if to combine everything... I don't think it will taste good. Funny lar...

      Delete
  5. Wow! Wow! I love this pancake very much! Your pancake looks better than the one I ate recently cos the chef was not a Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent almost 1 minute looking at your last photo - drooling until my hunger pangs started to salivate me!! I just had my lunch 1 hour ago! I was comparing with the one I ate which didn't sprinkle so much fillings on top like yours! Well done Angeline!

    Please open a shop soon!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah... homecook always got so much liew...

      Delete
  7. YUmm...I want Japanese Pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Errr never tasted that before. But I see all greens so I think good la. Can trick the kids to eat more greens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cont'd

      Linr down ytdy

      Good luck on your submission. Hope it gets featured

      Delete
  9. Fuyoo! Going into Japs now? MOdification? I think you meant "Improvise". Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow..yummy. Good job Angeline. :) I love this..thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum..i would like mine to hv more bonito flakes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for the generous tulips. I really appreciate it.

Popular Posts